In honor of moving to Egypt I wanted to make some lists. A list of things I will miss about home, and things I'm looking forward to getting away from; and a list of things I'm looking forward to in Egypt, and things I am not looking forward to in Egypt.
Things I will miss are in green, things I will not miss are in red
1. I will miss my mom, my family, and my friends a lot.
1. I will not miss being badgered by various family members for becoming Muslim.
2. I will miss American food.
2. I will not miss all the preservatives/pestacides used in American food.
3. I will miss my car.
3. I will not miss paying gas prices.
4. I will miss hearing both of my languages spoken at all places around me.
4. I will not miss having people speak to me like I don't speak English because of my hijab.
5. I will miss having 200 random channels of English TV available and all the shows I am addicted to like the Medium, SVU, and Scrubs.
5. Actually there is nothing I will not miss about that.
6. I will miss being able to go out and drive around aimlessly like I do here when I'm really stressed or under pressure. I will also miss being able to get somewhere in a reasonable amount of time because no matter how much TCers like to complain about our traffic (especially since the 35W collapse) it doesn't hold a candle next to the hot mess of Cairo traffic.
7. I will not miss traffic cops catching people (occasionally me) for speeding.
8. I will miss Cub Foods.
8. I will not miss Cub Foods' produce.
9. I will miss my mattress. Lots. I mean a lot a lot.
10. I will miss the 4th of July fireworks and sitting on the grass with my favorite cousins.
11. I will miss my cousin Oogie (not her real name but a nickname we've called her since childhood) and sewing/watching movies/playing WOW/talking on the phone/going out to dinner/playing Wii bowling/playing zonk/playing hand and foot.... etc. And also her mom and dad who are some of my favorite people in the world. I know this counts as missing family, but she's like my best friend and deserves her own number.
12. I'll miss the births of a lot of my friends' babies (Carrie and Mer specifically).
13. I'll miss knowing my way around. Everything.
14. I'll miss being in control. HA! Thats gonna be a big one, I'm really going to miss being in control. Control of where I go, what I can do, what I can take care of, etc. Moving it Egypt is definately going to be a lesson in letting go.
15. I'm really just going to miss home.
1. I'm looking forward to being with my husband. I might mention that one a couple of times cuz I'm REALLY looking forward to that one.
2. I'm looking forward to seeing my neices and nephews and all of my in-laws cuz I really do love them.
3. I'm looking forward to learning Arabic.
3. I'm not looking forward to not understanding until I do.
4. I'm looking forward to warm winters.
4. But I'm definately not looking forward to the summer.
5. I'm looking forward to all the new experiences, new places to see, new people to meet.
6. I'm looking forward to being in a Muslim country. REALLY looking forward to that one.
7. I'm looking forward to having my own kitchen to cook food in and play house -this time for real- with my husband.
7. I'm terrified of actually having to prove I'm a good cook.
8. I'm looking forward to koshari and really good lebanese restaurants.
8. I'm not looking forward to any other Egyptian food. Ok maybe maashi.
9. I am looking forward to fresh produce that actually tastes like food. Oh and halal meat.
9. Not really looking forward to the less than FDA-standard sanitation involved with both of the above.
10. Not looking forward to Cairo traffic. But I am kind of excited to see people riding donkeys up 6 lane causeways again. It tickles me funnybone.
11. I'm looking forward to being in the desert again. I miss that about Arizona, I'm really a desert girl at heart.
12. I'm REALLY looking forward to Arabic music. Not even kidding. When I came back from Egypt last summer I avoided radio stations for about five months. Music here sucks.
13. I'm looking forward to actually having a house of my own. I've always either been in my mom's house, or a roomie, or in a dorm room, so I never got the chance to interior decorate at will.
14. I would love to work in Egypt and am looking forward to that opportunity (inshAllah). I hope that I am given one.
15. I'm not looking forward to garbage in the streets.
16. I'm not looking forward to corruption or the loss of my basic human rights.
17. I'm not looking forward to people honking their horns 24 hours a day.
18. But I am looking forward to the smiles and warmth of the Egyptian people.
19. The ADHAN!!!! I'm looking forward to always hearing that. (thanks DawnUK I forgot one of the most important ones.)
20. I am looking forward to a completely new way of life.
Feel free to add any advice and/or extras to the list, I may have left out some things.